Monday, August 2, 2010

A Pair of Aces

In this edition of Here's The Deal we ask a few questions of Pocket Aces Racing members Bob and Carol Leggett. Bob and Carol own shares in our promising 3-year-old Cozzene filly, Dixie's Hope, and our exciting 2-year-old Medaglia d' Oro colt named Posso Volare

HTD: Could you give our readers a little background information on yourselves? Where you're from originally, where you live now, careers, children, etc.

Bob: My family moved to Lexington, KY from Montgomery County, MD in the summer of 1970. While in high school, I met Carol and we have been happily married for more than 34 years. We have 3 children and 1 grandchild. After more than 30 years of public service, during which I provided oversight and management of several public pension plans with multi-billion dollar portfolios in executive director and chief investment officer capacities, I retired and returned to Kentucky. Carol and I have found a great community in Louisville to call home.

Carol: I grew up in Lexington, Ky where my parents still live as does one of my three brothers. Although I was a stay at home mom for several years when our kids were little, I have worked for almost 20 years with school support programs in Kentucky, New Hampshire, and Louisiana at the local, regional and state level. I am still working but only part-time now for the Kentucky Department of Education. As Bob said, we have one wonderful granddaughter who lives in Lexington, but, is a frequent visitor to our house. We have two grown daughters and a son who is a senior in college. As much as I enjoyed the places where Bob's work has taken us, it is nice to be back in Kentucky.

HTD: How where you introduced to the sport of thoroughbred racing?


Bob: While working part-time during the formative high school years, my employer and I would occasionally take brief excursions to Keeneland to enjoy the races; I've been a fan ever since then.

Carol: Horse racing was always a part of growing up in Lexington and I don't remember a time that I wasn't aware of it. But, the first time I actually went to the track (Keeneland) was as a college student.

HTD: Bob, imagine you have just been appointed to the imaginary position of "Commissioner of North American Thoroughbred Racing". What's the first thing on your to do list?

Bob: Promote the National Racing Compact, a proposed interstate compact for racing and wagering as a viable means to promote uniformity in the industry.

HTD: Carol, competition, socializing and risk reduction are all important components of thoroughbred racing partnership participation. Could you rank those three components in order of which is most important to you and give a brief explanation why?

Carol: While competition is an enticing factor and risk reduction by participating in the sport through a partnership is a key consideration, socializing is most important to me. It has been fun to meet new people and share the racing experience with them. I especially enjoy access to the paddock before the race along with other ownership amenities provided through Pocket Aces Racing like being with our partners and friends in the suites during the races.

HTD: If you could win one race what would it be?

Bob & Carol: The Kentucky Derby. It's the event that continues to live up to its billing as the two most exciting minutes in sports.

HTD: Bob, I know you are a pretty serious handicapper. What's your favorite track to play and why?

Bob: Arlington Park provides racing and wagering opportunities that fit best with my handicapping approach. Additionally, it is a beautiful track, with nice amenities, that offers yet another reason for us to visit one of our favorite cities.

HTD: Outside of thoroughbred racing, what are a few of your other hobbies and interests?

Bob: American history, reading, travel and wine.

Carol: Theater, movies, music, travel, reading, good wine, and spending precious time with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment